Monday, August 31, 2009

Volunteered doctor in Ranong, Thailand

This is another activity that is my memorable time. My friends and I went to rural area in Ranong as volunteered doctors last year.

This was my first time as a 5th year medical student to take care and also prescribe for lots of patients without consulting and signing of my professor… OH MY GOD!! The patients will still be all right after visitting us??? ><

In order to be perfect in being a real doctor (without professor) first time, we must do homework much; reviewed common problems that anticipate to meet and also dose of medication as much as we could.

After finishing our class around 4-5pm friday, we hurried up to catch the bus that would depart from Bangkok around 6-7pm and take a whole night in non air conditioner bus about 8-9 hrs… Opps!! I could not deep sleep on the seat that could not lean down, so chatted with my partner and counted the stars until my friend feel sleepy. However due to lots of fatigue, finally I was unconscious and slept on uncomfortable seat. We arrived our destination around 4am and pave mats on the floor as line of troops without discriminating gender due to not enough area.

The morning started at 6am after we took a bath and had an excellent breakfast that was prepared by folks for us. Then we began our duty immediately by history taking, physical exam and prescribe for our patients.

And everything finished around 5pm with about 900 patients (10 doctors). Wow!!! It’s impossible… almost 100 people per one of us anyway I must be the most clumsy and service slowest of us, I supposed.

We ended up my exhausted day by traveling to view waterfall that is not far from our place, had another excellent meal (from people around there as well) and catch the bus going back siriraj to start our work on Sunday….

It’s such an impressed experience, I’m proud to make a little benefit to society though it’s not a big deal… but hopefully I’ll have some chance for this job again













No comments: