Monday, August 31, 2009

Making a decision

Do you have “Dream”.

Absolutely, everyone has their own dream and make an effort to catch up their destination.

Life seem boring without challenging. Motivation and inspiration drive one’s breath to go on.

And my own dream is being child and adolescent psychiatrist…

By the way, any ways aren’t covered with carpet, the rough and difficult route color life colourful.

I found out myself 2 years ago when my rotation rotated to psychiatry department. I do love the way to approach the patients in mental aspect that rarely be met in other department. Most of doctors search for organic or medical condition and manage by medication and surgery perfectly but few of them search for the real cause of bio-psycho-social. Most of doctors try to advise the patients based on theory but few of them try to support and understand their patients’ feeling seriously.

Actually I realize that mental problems are the most common trouble of one’s life. No one never face suffering but how many of them can fix the trouble with matured coping. Mental problem vary from normal variant to mental disorder that closed relate to science and neurotransmitter which some of theory are proved already but most of them are questionable. I think it is such an interesting field and suitable with my character.

Once I dream to be the staff in medical school, have USMLE exam and train in residency and fellowship in USA…

The day of psychiatry training application is coming, this position is special due to the chosen one is internship only 1 year and start residency course immediately as well as get a special opportunity to be considered as a staff of Siriraj hospital, comparing with the common compulsory line to be intern 1 year follow by 2 years in suburb before coming for training. However only 1position is required.

Anyway this time I’m confused and still cannot make my decision.

Between applying in position of child and adolescent psychiatry resident that is my dream and being a doctor in suburb that no progression and waste my time 2 years … nothing must be confused, doesn’t it??

I desire acquisition of knowledge but lesson doesn’t appear only in school. I love teaching and being a teacher as well as doctor but class not only in a square room and in medical school, I can teach my patients, my junior doctor or my crews anywhere.

Progress can make my life flourishing, but I also yearn for experience of being real human.
I would like to going abroad to be an excellent physician, on the other hand I can be a good doctor that can take care of many patients after graduate in Thailand as well.

I’d like to go to rural district to get more experience…. It’s such an odd idea comparing with many of my friends who scramble for the way to be as close as downtown and facility for instance applying for fixing ward in large hospital or being in preclinic in medical school.

But I would like to make some benefit as a general practitioner as much as I can before I’ll take the rest of my whole life for psychiatrist. I do love to learn more in other aspect other than medical viewpoint for instance being in the position of community hospital administrator, being leader of hospital staff for health care, health promotion and health prevention, creating new project that is beneficial for my folk.

I have ever been suburb for 2 months when I was the 4th and 5th year for community research and family folder… I found out that I love this lifestyle. I can learn more from there for example lifestyle of folks, how to get along with nurses or other hospital staffs smoothly without conflict, how to be not only a good doctor but also perfect leader in community. I would like to be a little candle in dark place that much more valuable than being a common light in luminous area although merely short time of my life.

I realize that I’m too young including my though, my vision and my experience. hope to be much more matured and understand life better…

Am I a stupid girl if I will leave behind my best opportunity to apply as a staff of Siriraj hospital and go on being such a common doctor in rural area before coming training psychiatry.
Or apply as a staff of medical school to fulfill my dream to be a doctor as well as a teacher and I can make a benefit to society as well…

How can I do???

3 comments:

Nantawat said...

GO FOR IT krap. The greatest risk is not taking one. Sound like you have already known what you would like to do in your life.

My life equation : risk = danger + fear + opportunity ,so
..........................opportunity = risk - danger - fear

Talk the issue with someone you trust. Anyhow, listen to your own heart.

The answer always be there, in your heart.

Best wishes krap

Nantawat

Unknown said...

This period is absolutely the turning point of every single person in the class. Sometimes it is so difficult to choose the most appropriate option rationnaly. My suggestion is to let your emotion or your guts lead you to the right way. At least it would be the way that make you satisfied. I'll be your supprt na :)

น้าตุ๊ย said...

ลูกหมูเอ๋ย

คงให้คำแนะนำที่เหมาะสมกับ หมู ได้ไม่ดีนักขณะนี้ แต่จะบอกเป็นข้อๆได้คือ
1. ความคิดของหมู คือความคิดของวัยขณะนี้ ซึ่งมีหลากหลายมาก เมื่อไปอีกระยะหนึ่งก็จะมีอะไรใหม่ๆเข้ามา แต่ที่บอกๆ มา เป็นความคิดที่ดีๆทั้งนั้น

2. ตามความคิดวัยแบบ น้าตุ๊ย หมูคิดไกลตัวไปมากหรือไม่ บางอย่างยังไม่ต้องตัดสิ้นใจหรือเลือกก็ได้ ที่ทำตามลำดับ 1 2 3 Psychiatry training น่าจะมาก่อนหรือไม่ ก็ลองดู ได้ก็ดี คงต้องแข่งขันกันพอควร ได้หรือไม่ ก็ยังมีเวลาที่จะศึกษาเรื่องจิตเวชเด็กได้ (เรียกผิดถูก) เพราะอย่างไร ก็ยังมีเวลาเป็นตัวกำหนดว่า
หมูทำอะไรต่อ ก็ต้องคืนใช้ทุนใช้ไหม หรือ ไปบริหารและรักษาอยู่โรงพยาบาลต่างจังหวัดก็ดี เวลาอาจจะช่วยตัดสินใจบางอย่างได้ ต้องไปเรียนต่างประเทศก็ต้องรอเวลาอยู่ดี ใช้ไหมครับ เราสามารถเลือกตอนนั้นก็ยังได้ใช้หรือไม่

3. หมุจะเลือกอะไรหรือทำอะไร คงถูกทุกอย่าง แต่ถ้าไม่ได้อย่างหวัง ที่สำคัญก็อย่าไปเสียใจมาก เพราะมีแวดล้อมภายนอกควบคุมไม่ได้มีอีกมาก
อนาคต หมู ยังมีฝันที่สวยงามกว่านี้รออยู่อีกมากๆๆ

สรุป ง่ายๆ ก็ศิริราชหนึ่งตำแหน่งtrainningใช้หรือไม่ ได้หรือไม่ ก็เอาไว้ก่อน แล้วจะเลือกทำอะไรหลังจากนั้น ก็ทำได้ ทุกอย่างต้องมีทาง หรือ โรงพยาบาลต่างจังหวัดก็คือฝันของหมูเช่นกันก็ดี ไปเรียนต่างประเทศ จะเลือกอะไรก็ได้ไปทั้งนั้นเพราะมันคือความตั้งใจและฝันของหมุ ช้าเร็วเท่านั้น

หมูยังมีเวลาและโอกาสทำอะไรอีกมาก ไม่มีอะไรสายเกินไป น้าตุ๊ยจะเริ่มอะไรใหม่ๆตอนนี้ก็ยังสามารถทำได้เช่นกัน ถึงจะลำบากมากกว่าก่อนมากก็ตาม