Wednesday, May 14, 2008

SURGERY

I’m in Surgery Department now, 6 week duration in this one.

Surgery department for 5th year is separated in 2 parts, both of them have 2 weeks and a half for duration.
First one of mine consists of Plastic surgery, Pediatric Surgery and CVT, then being in Trauma and Neuro surgery in last 2 weeks and a half… it’s beneficial for us, we will have free time in the whole sixth week for preparing ourselves for examination

3days in Surgery have passed already that are not too bad.. Our work starts at 7am for ward round, lecture, OR, OPD or bedside teaching in the morning then small group lecture in the afternoon.
Absolutely everybody must get cases for attending and writing report… and I must have ones either. My first case is 47-year-old flame burned man that stay in Burn Unit…

It seems nothing is too hard for us in surgery, no evening ward round, no ward work, no overnight duty however I still feel somewhat exhausted. After my class, Other than approaching, taking care the patient and writing my report I have not any free time left, even for studying or preparing myself for the next day… so don’t mention about my exercise or nonsense activity

Today class just finished recently with practicing ICD (Intercostal Drainage). After watching demonstrating video, we moved to practice with a cadaver. The bad smelling of many days corpses could not be prevented by mask and made me feel a little sick. The cadaver’s skin is much more difficult to be sutured. Because they hadn’t been exam for HIV, we must be careful specially.

I’ve just realized that entering ICD tube is not as difficult as I suppose…
The MORE PRACTICE, the MORE YOU GAIN. Absolutely, if we collect many experiences in practicing, nothing is too difficult for our endeavor..
Anyway, in emergency time we usually make a plenty of mistakes, consciousness is the precious thing for that , hopefully, we can manage it safely for our patients in real life.

No comments: