Wednesday, April 16, 2008

-10- Abode of Still Thoughts





“With courage and confidence, nothing is impossible. The only obstacle to your success is your lack of willingness”
--- Master Cheng Yen---

By my friends’ help, Kaijing, Connie, Wenting and Frankie, I had a privilege to meet Master Cheng Yen 2 times. My first time when Master came to the university, Kaijing, she gave me her uniform and knitted my braid so I disguised to be Tzu Chi student completely and stand in row along Master’s passage to welcome her. It was such a delighted feeling to meet her just a moment. Most of us have tears in our eyes because of our delight and love in her.

The second time I was very impressive not only because of meeting Master but also my friends’ kindness. Frankie, though he couldn’t accompany me, he promised to ask someone for me. Wenting and Connie, they must wake up very early (6 am appointment) to bring me to there by riding the bicycles around 20 kilometers in total. Especially Connie, she was very busy, always slept very late and had a class at 9am she still accompanied me and because of this matter she attended her class late.

Abode of Still Thoughts or Jing Si Abode (Chinese name) is the residence of Dharma Master Cheng Yen and her monastic disciples, the spiritual home of Tzu Chi volunteers around the world, and the birthplace of the Tzu Chi Foundation.

Every morning at 7am Master will give morning teaching and it is broadcasted in Tzu Chi TV channel. I attended in her teaching as well, soft and gentle voice is delivered, everyone pay attention in hers. However I cannot understand Chinese language, Wenting, she translated for me.

Life at the Still Thoughts Abode is considerably different from other places of spiritual cultivation, Because of Master’s concept “No Work No Gain”, all the residents are kept busy with work; cooking duties, farm duties, etc. They must wake up at 4 am every morning because the pace of life is quick, the time is valuable, they mustn’t waste it.

We were leaded by a nun around the bean powder, candle machines, the cultural gallery and the fields. Besides, she gave me a bracelet that has Master picture.

Though I couldn’t meet my loved Master nearly or have a conversation with her. Fortunately, just a normal girl like me has a privilege to go to Tzu Chi, learn her inspired history and visit her residence. It is my ultimately good destiny.

No comments: