Wednesday, April 16, 2008

-5- Vegetarian Food











“All lives deserve to be respected, and all beings need to be loved
It ought to be easy for us to feel the pain experienced by bodies other than our own and grant happiness to those who are but strangers”
--- Master Cheng Yen---


“Only vegetarian food is provided and permitted in hospital area” , that was an important notice from Mr. Wei before I go to Tzu Chi.

The vegetarian cafeteria was settled between my dormitory and Tzu Chi Hospital. We must use an ID cards for paying for food. The breakfast comprises of breads and soybean or coffee in 15NT per meal. The lunch and dinner are buffet meal, many kinds of vegetarian food, only 25NT per meal. The food is quite delicious that can be confirmed by my 3 kilograms weight increasing.

One of interested thing here is everybody must have their own bowls, chopsticks or spoons and the bottles of water. Besides after finishing their meals they must clean their wares themselves at the provided place outside the canteen.

By the way, For someone else that is not familiar with vegetarian food such as my Thai classmate, it may a difficult life to adapt themselves to have only vegetarian meal. However I am the one that had tried to be vegetarian since last year but I cannot achieve my purpose yet, so this rule was my good opportunity to accomplish my wish. I determined to have only vegetarian food along 1 month that I were there.

But something change my mind. I heard this quote from somewhere
“The difficulty of delicious meat abstaining and searching for vegetarian food are not as suffering as the creatures’ agony when they are going to be killed”

Moreover most of my Tzu Chi friends are pure vegetarian. Some of them started it since they were young, for instance Frankie, though he was in Malaysia, the country that is much more difficult to search for vegetarian food, he still decided to be one since he was only 14 years old. I appreciate in his resolution although he was young.

22 years in my life in consuming meat and exploiting other creatures are enough for me.

This quote and my friends’ determination make me decided definitely to be vegetarian all of my life left without regretting or yearning for any delicious tastes of them…

No comments: