Wednesday, April 16, 2008

-7- Volunteering works





“Those who cherish good fortune are those who do good things for others. Those who do good things for others always lead happy lifes”
--- Master Cheng Yen---



As Master’s teaching “Life is journey; we board an express train at birth and head for the unavoidable destination of death. The scenery drifts by, and the only meaningful thing we can do is to be good and kind to our fellow passengers”

It is Master’s wisdom to develop her students’ spirit, humanitarianism, love and mercy. She created herself the compulsory activities which are volunteering works or making any benefits to society in some way. And every students must have their own volunteering passport to record their good deeds.

I had an opportunity to participate in visiting temporary old folk home on my first Saturday in Tzu Chi. Every weeks Tzu Chi students will go there to visit and have many activities with the old folks such as chatting, singing, drawing a picture, playing a game and giving them health care service.

After finishing the activities they sang a Tzu Chi song with language sign, ”a big family” song that is very meaningful and touched. The song meaning is

“ My happiness depends on your laughing, but if u cry, my grief is more than you. In my dream, I wish u were besides me forever. We are in the same family, believing in each others and my gratitude is given to you to let me learn more from your acceptance my giving. We will share our sorrow and pain because we are in a big family together.”

Please forgive me if there are some mistakes in this song’s meaning. Because I try to recall from my friend’s translation long time ago. Moreover i can sing this song in my odd Chinese accent however my melody still works, I think.

Other than activities for old folks. They have other volunteering works, for instance teaching the poor primary and elementary students, volunteering in hospital, etc.

In my opinion, this kind of activity is such a good way to instill student’s humanitarianism. All schools and universities should set this program in order to make a benefit to society as well.

No comments: